- Precious than Rubies! Girls Program
- Crazy Love! Boys Program
We provide teenagers with the opportunity to see themselves in a different light, so that they can begin to map out the future they want for themselves. We encourage self-exploration, self-determination, self-respect and self-worth.
We are passionate about inspiring and encouraging change through education to all teenagers, and especially those who are disaffected within schools and local communities. We are confident that our LiveWise program, will equip teenagers with the necessary tools to make better life choices, so that their life path will be filled with hopefulness, strength and wisdom; as well as, give them a sense of direction and fulfilment in terms of what they can achieve in their lives. We believe that every young person should have the choice to choose their life path and become whatever she wishes to become; be it a Pilot, firefighter or Mechanic, without being gender stereotyped, and having limitations put upon them by society who believe that the female form is only meant to fulfil certain stereotypical roles.
There are three key elements focused on:
Attitudes and values
- learning the importance of values, individual conscience and moral considerations.
- learning the value of family life, marriage, and stable and loving relationships for the nurture of children.
- learning the value of respect, love and care; healthy and safe relationships, exploring, considering and understanding moral dilemmas; and developing critical thinking as part of decision-making.
Personal and social skills
- learning to manage emotions and relationships confidently and sensitively; developing self-respect and empathy for others.
- learning to make choices based on an understanding of difference and with an absence of prejudice; developing an appreciation of the consequences of choices made; managing conflict.
- learning how to recognise and avoid exploitation and abuse.
Knowledge and understanding
- learning and understanding physical development at appropriate stages; understanding human sexuality, sexual health, emotions and relationships.
- learning about contraception and the range of local and national sexual health advice, contraception and support services.
- learning the reasons for delaying sexual activity, and the benefits to be gained from such delay; and the avoidance of unplanned pregnancy.
We believe that young people should be given up to date and accurate information which will enable them to develop the necessary skills to understand difference and to respect themselves and others. Also for preventing, and removing prejudice. Teenagers should learn to understand human sexuality, the reasons for delaying sexual activity and the benefits to be gained from such delay, and learn about obtaining appropriate advice on sexual health.
Our objective for the LiveWise program is to help and support young people through their physical, emotional and moral development, as well as, enable them to have healthy and safe relationships.
Our focus is to develop future leaders and positive role models in terms of taking the next generation of young people to the Top of their Field in their personal and future professional lives.
A successful programme, such as the LiveWise Program will help young people learn to respect themselves and others and move with confidence from childhood through adolescence into adulthood. It will also help pupils develop the skills and understanding they need to live confident, healthy and independent SAFE lives. It will play an important role, alongside other aspects of the curriculum and school life, in helping pupils deal with difficult moral and social questions.
PERSONAL WELLBEING -
CURRICULUM AIMS & EXPLAINATORY NOTES
(This is an extract from the National Curriculum 2007)
Learning and undertaking activities in personal wellbeing contribute to achievements of the curriculum aims for all young people to become:
- Successful learners who enjoy learning make progress and achieve.
- Confident individuals who can live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives.
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society.
The importance of personal Wellbeing
Personal wellbeing is integral to shaping the personal development of young people’s lives.
It enables young people to embrace change, = feel positive about who they are and enjoy a life which will enable them to be safe, healthy and responsible young individuals.
Active learning increases opportunities which will enable young people to manage risk, and take responsibility for themselves and the choices they make. It will enable them to see themselves differently, in a positive light, as opposed to what they thought. This in turn will enable them to positively contribute to their family, school and communities. If pupils can identify their qualities, skills and attitudes, they ultimately build confidence, self-esteem and knowledge that will enhance their ability to explore differences between people and encourage them to discuss social and moral dilemmas, ultimately protecting them now and in the future.
It will instil a sense of courage, awareness and clarity which often helps them to reflect and communicate their feelings and own values, attitudes in a world which is filled with complexities and mixed messages.
Personal wellbeing makes a major contribution to the promotion of personal development which will significantly help young people to respect themselves and others by understanding the importance of who they are, and who they wish to become.
Our mission and purpose is clear in terms of re-engaging teenagers so that they focus on their strengths and abilities, and live up to their full potential. We focus on preventative methods and educating as many teenagers from neglect, oppression, deprivation, missing opportunities and abuse. By providing them with the opportunity to gain clearer insights into what they want for their future, equipping young girls and boys with the necessary, skills, attitude and behaviour that will enable them to catapult themselves into successful relationships and lives in the future.
LiveWise Program: 6- 10-Week program
Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: Developing self-respect in relationships
Week 3: Developing resilience
Week 4: Breakthrough goals program
Week 5: Assault & Violence against girls
Week 6: What is Rape & Sexual consent
Week 7: Healthy relationships & Controlling relationships
Week 8: Body Confidence
Week 9: Overcoming Challenges
Week 10: Dealing with difficult feeling
Intense Discovery Days:
- What does my future look like to me?
- Raising academic performance and achievements
- Aiming High
- Stress busting techniques
Don’t Give Up Your Power
- Understanding the difference between confidence and self-esteem
- What is self-love
- Becoming more resilient
- Managing my anger
- Dealing with difficult feeling
- Tigger-Emotions-Attitude (TEA)